Reid Building

Housing Authority
of the City
of Augusta, Georgia

Housing Authority of the City of Augusta, Georgia









If you have other questions, please let us know at
...or you may want to visit the Department of Housing and Urban Development's web site at:
They have information on areas our agency does not cover, such as purchasing homes from HUD.

For information on Housing, please call (706) 724-5466.
If you would like to know about specific programs, please click here.
If you have Portability questions, please contact Star Smith at (706) 312-3116.

General Information

What's the difference between Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and Public Housing? Someone receiving Public Housing assistance must live in one of AHA's communities or high-rises. Someone receiving a Section 8 voucher rents a privately owned unit, and gets help with their rent.   

What about River Glen? This site provides HUD Section 8 site based assistance. You can get Section 8 assistance in the property, but it's tied to the unit (not the client). If you move out, you lose assistance. At this time, this is the only development offering site based assistance that is administered by the Augusta Housing Authority.

Is the Housing Authority part of the City-County government? No, the Augusta Housing Authority is a separate agency. Our one connection to the city government is that the Mayor selects the members of our Board of Commissioners.

When can I apply for housing assistance? The Section 8 Tenant-Based Assistance Program waiting list is currently closed. The Public Housing waiting list is open for Elderly/Disabled applicants. Notice will be published in the Augusta Chronicle when the waiting list(s) are open.

Am I eligible to apply for housing assistance? The AHA accepts applications only from families whose head or spouse is at least 18 years of age or emancipated minors under State law.

How does the waiting list work? The waiting list is maintained by the date and time a person applies. The size unit for which the family is eligible is based on family composition.

How can I find out where my name is on the list? You may contact the Housing Authority. However, the information that is provided changes constantly. There is approximately a 6 months to 5 years wait before your name reaches the top of the waiting list.  

I applied for housing assistance a couple years ago, but now they say my name has been removed from the waiting list. How does that happen? The AHA mails correspondence to the address on the initial application.  If the AHA cannot contact you, your name will be withdrawn from the waiting list. If you move, have a change in family composition or family income please come by AHA's office and fill out an update form. If there is a period when AHA cannot contact you, your name will have been removed from the waiting list.

Section 8 Assistance Program

How do I get a Voucher? AHA is NOT accepting new applications for Section 8 Assistance. We have a limited number of vouchers and cannot accommodate more clients at this time.

But I know somebody who just got a Voucher - why did they get one? Vouchers do become available when a client chooses to leave the program, or is terminated for not following the rules and regulations. These vouchers are then issued to the person who is next on the waiting list.

If I get a voucher, can I live anywhere I want? The AHA jurisdiction consists of Augusta-Richmond County, and there are restrictions on where you live with a voucher - for example, the landlord must agree to be part of the program, the lease must be approved, and the unit must be inspected to insure that it meets Housing Quality Standards set by HUD.

Once I received a voucher can I move (port) to another jurisdiction? Yes, portability applies to families moving out of or into the Augusta Housing Authority’s jurisdiction within the United States and its territories. A person who receives a voucher must maintain residence within AHA jurisdiction for a minimum of one year or provide proof of residence in our jurisdiction at the time of initial application in order to be allowed to move with continued assistance. If you have Portability questions, please contact Star Smith at (706) 312-3116.

Public Housing Program

What areas are considered public housing? The Public Housing Program is divided in four (4) areas which consist of Allen Homes, MM Scott, Oak Pointe, Cherry Tree Crossing, Peabody Apartments, Hal Powell, Ervin Towers, Olmstead Homes, Jennings Place, Dogwood Terrace, Barton Village (some areas), and Overlook Apartments.

Can I have family stay with me in public housing? You can have visitors, and you are responsible for their code of conduct.  Guests will be permitted to stay on the premises for only fourteen days.

Can I have pets in public housing? Yes, you can have a pet that fits within AHA regulations. The regulations require a $300 pet deposit and set some limits on the type and size of the pet.

I need housing immediately, can you help me? The Augusta Housing Authority does not provide emergency housing. Action Ministries of Augusta, Equal Opportunity Authority, Interfaith Hospitality Network. Salvation Army, or Beulah Grove Resource Center are all good places to start looking for crisis assistance. Also the United Way of the CSRA has a 211 telephone number that can put you in contact with help.

If my name comes to the top of the waiting list - can I be sure I'll get housing assistance? Once your name comes to the top of the waiting list, AHA staff will review the following checklist to determine eligibility.

  • Currently owes the Augusta Housing Authority money
  • Determination of criminal background check
  • Evicted from Public Housing

If the answer to any of the above show a negative history of eviction or criminal activity, or you owe AHA money, this will delay your public housing assistance. Inability to obtain utilities services in your name may delay the process or limit the available housing areas.

Once I am housed in public housing can I move (port) to another jurisdiction? No, portability is not offered in Public Housing.

Can I receive housing if I don't have children?All household sizes can apply for housing, which includes single household applicants.